Feeding Big Game in Western Wyoming
New book about Wyoming big game feedgrounds
by Pinedale Online!
March 14, 2017
Ron Dean, a retired biologist with the Wyoming Game & Fish Department, has written a new book entitled, "Feeding Big Game in Western Wyoming." He relies on his 33 years of experience in the big game feeding arena to compile the most complete record on elk feedgrounds, a wildlife management strategy that was implemented in Wyoming over a century ago. Deanís book focuses on the 22 elk feedgrounds in Wyoming which are operated by the Wyoming Game & Fish Department. He provides significant insight into the challenges of big game wildlife management and supplemental feeding in Wyoming.
Highlights of the book:
- History of feeding elk since the arrival of settlers in the late 1880ís to the present.
- Discussion of incidents of starvation that were frequent and involved large numbers of elk.
- Discussion of disease related issues as they pertain to elk feedgrounds.
- Observations of the presence and activities of wolves on elk feedgrounds.
- Efforts to reduce or eliminate feedgrounds.
- Problems caused by big game to private property.
- History and data from the current 22 state operated elk feedgrounds, plus those that were retired or were temporary.
- History and data from feeding moose.
- History and data from feeding deer.
- Discussion of the controversy surrounding feedgrounds.
- Discussion of an elk migration from Jackson to the Red Desert.
- Problems associated with discontinuing feedgrounds.
- Short personal anecdotes (some humorous, some serious).
- The authorís assessment of the current situation.
The paperback book has 330 pages and has 235 photos, many full color. There is a CD attached that contains 677 pages of additional information which is not readily available elsewhere. The book sells for $50.
The new book is available at the locations listed below. Dean also has a website where the book may be purchased with a credit card or through PayPal, www.rondean.net.
The Cowboy Shop
Fandek Saddles & Stirrups
Salt River Soaps Works, Afton
Wyoming Minuteman Supply, Thayne
Star Valley Feed & Tack, Etna
Jackson Hole Historical Society and Museum