Christmas tree safety and smoke detector maintenance
by Sublette County Fire
December 9, 2012
Here are some tips from Sublette County Volunteer Fire Departments regarding Christmas tree safety and smoke detector maintenance:
- Natural trees should be cut at a 45 degree angle at the base and placed in water.
- Place tree away from heat sources.
- Use only non-flammable decorations.
- Use only lighting evaluated by a nationally recognized laboratory, such as underwriters laboratories (UL)
- Inspect lights for frayed wire or other defects before use.
- DO NOT leave lights on unattended.
- Keep natural tree stands filled with water at all times.
- When tree becomes dry, discard it promptly.
Smoke detector safety
- Install smoke alarms on every level of the home, outside sleeping areas, and inside the bedrooms.
- Test all smoke alarms in your home once a month.
- Replace smoke alarm batteries annually.
- replace smoke alarms that are more than ten years old.
- Develop and practice a home fire escape plan.