Pinedale Online!

Pinedale on the Web!
Pinedale, Wyoming

Home | Calendar of Events | Photo Gallery | Local Businesses |

Pinedale Online > News > June 2011 > Commercial events on public lands may require special recreation permit
Commercial events on public lands may require special recreation permit
by Bureau of Land Management
June 29, 2011

Bureau of Land Management (BLM) Wyoming State Office reminds public land users and outdoor organizers to apply for a special recreation permit (SRP) if they plan to conduct a commercial or organized event occurring on public lands. SRPs are authorizations which allow recreational use of public lands and waters and are issued to manage visitor use, protect recreational and natural resources, and provide for visitor health and safety. Organized groups and special area permits are usually issued in high use areas or where recreation use requires special BLM management. Commercial SRPs are also issued to provide a fair return to the United States for the commercial recreational use of public lands.

Commercial use of public lands for recreational purposes requires an SRP. Examples of commercial activities include any fund-raising activity, outfitters and guides, college back-packing course for credit, jeep tours, horse trail and wagon train rides, and cattle drives.

Organized group or event permits are intended for group outdoor recreation activities or events which are neither commercial nor competitive. The authorized officer determines when a permit is required based on planning decisions, resource concerns, potential user conflicts, or public health and safety issues. Examples of groups or events that may require a permit include a large scout campout, a fraternity activity, a large family reunion held at a BLM recreation site or participating in recreation activities on public lands, reenactments, or a dual sport event.

Applications should be submitted to the nearest field office where the event is anticipated to occur at least180 days prior to the desired use date. In the event activities occur in more than one field office, the field office with the most use will take the lead for processing the permit.

BLM’s Lead Law Enforcement Officer Perry McCoy, also reminds those individuals who conduct commercial or organized events without a permit are subject to criminal and/or administrative actions including criminal fines, penalties and loss of future permit privileges for organizers and participants as well.

For more information on special recreation permits on public lands managed in Wyoming go to

Pinedale Online > News > June 2011 > Commercial events on public lands may require special recreation permit

Pinedale Online!
Pinedale Online! PO Box 2250, Pinedale, WY 82941
Phone: (307) 360-7689 or (307) 276-5699, Fax: (307) 276-5414

Office Outlet in Pinedale, 43 S. Sublette

Copyright © 2011 Pinedale Online. All rights reserved.
Pictures and content cannot be used in whole or part without permission.